For my new year’s resolution, I resolved to complete one artsy thing per week. Prior to starting that seemed like a good, firm resolution, until the first week came and I realized there really wasn’t any firm point at which something is finished and I could not come back and add to it later.. so I may have to amend it to do one artsy thing per week (at my discretion of what’s artsy, naturally), such as progress a larger project or work on a piece until suspicion of completion which may be later re-addressed. Each week will end on Thursday, since January 1st was on Friday.
Also, one isn’t a limitation necessarily — in that I can do multiple if I like, which is how most of December’s weeks panned out. So for week one I made (a) a Halo 3 Infection multi-player custom map called Telefection. It’s forged from Sandbox and consists of several individual floating platforms on the sky portion of the map. Each platform is a miniature obstacle course to get from one end of the platform to its opposite, and from there using a teleporter to reach the next platform. I vaguely tried to make it so that a zombie couldn’t just camp at one in-teleporter and slash (or the reverse, for humans) everyone that comes through, but I’m not certain that was successful, but there were multiple angles to exit each one, such as two or more paths around obstacles. My fileshare is currently maxed out with slots from an expired Bungie Pro account and it won’t let me add anything until I remove enough so that I’m down to 6 slots again, so I’m not sure how I’d distribute it unless you played me a game of it personally (gamertag thehomeland)..
Also for week one was progressing the giant 10-foot-by-4-foot painting I’m planning. I’m making a frame base out of flattened cardboard boxes, such as one from work with a shipping label still on it, and part of a box from a new water heater I just had installed so that even the frame has something to do with me. It’s also pretty dense cardboard that this week I plan to sew together. If all goes according to plan, the frame won’t even be visible and will act purely as a structural stability aspect, because the surface (interwoven, folded, paper ninja stars) will be glued/affixed so that the edges will exceed the frame by perhaps an inch on all edges. For week one I’d progressed it as far as cutting out the patchwork shape of the, when-assembled, 10×4 rectangle using two layers so that any folding edges will crisscross and prevent each other from bending.
For week two (ending today) I began taking screenshots of Asian pop desktop wallpaper backgrounds, to be gathered into a larger gallery of 1920×1080-pixel collection and hosted on my thehomeland.org space. I even just now wondered, hmm, I could make a giant New Year’s Resolution: 1 Art Per Week mini-site showcasing the year’s stages.. hmm — for another week perhaps ~_^ I took shots of a rather gigantic rip of a KARA performance of Wanna and Mister, and currently have one of them as my wallpaper already =D Just today I’ve taken a bunch from an AKB48 television series (today of which episode s01e02 should be out) Majisuka Gakuen and I’ve got an Oshima Yuko Making-Of playing in the background now that I want to take a bunch from.
Also for week two, I’ve taken down all of the push-pinned items off the large briefly-blank wall behind my giant, flat-top desk and have begun pinning new material up there. So far I’ve got the fold-out Prada advert from the Michelle Obama issue of Vogue (March 2009) — which, if anyone has this issue, could you please send me a torn-out version from your copy, as it’s two-sided and I wanted both sides facing out =P — as well as a few other ads like Calvin Klein, Banana Republic, Vera Wang, (those, all sunglasses ads) and a few other single pages from photoshoots mostly from the same issue.
I think about covers it so far.. (I may come back and add photos of such things here) — Stay tuned for Week 3! ~_^|/