I’ve played Fallout 3 for about 8 hours now, and my review so far is that it is hideous. There are quite a few borderline-dealbreaker issues that I have with it, and I really have to search for some positives. I had such high hopes for this game, but the clunky functions are just really wearing me down. Minor spoilers ahead.
1. There is so little ammo anywhere. There are giant ants that shoot fire at you from 10 yards away, and all you have is a tire iron at your defense. Oh, you’ve got a sniper rifle, two automatics, three kinds of pistols, a shotgun, a flamethrower, and two laser weapons — but no ammo, anywhere! And when you do actually GET ammo, from a random passer-by who will sell you some — your aim is so wretched that you waste 4 bullets only to land one, so you might as well not even bother, even with the spiffy aiming system.
2. You can accumulate a lot of junk to sell to people, but people have so little currency there’s little use looting up places, and health packs cost you your left nut, each! The shop owners never seem to get any new inventory, and once you’ve exhausted their supply of currency, they don’t get anymore. I’ve tried on five different days so far with the first shop owner and she never seems to get anything new or have any more money. What the frack?
3. Three times, I’ve talked to people and someone is standing in betwen us that I can’t see the person talking and the screen is zoomed into someone’s back. The first time happened in the first 10 minutes of the game. Did they actually have Beta testers? It doesn’t seem like it.
4. Pulling up menus takes way too long, and not that the menus are clunky necessarily (they’re a bit similar to Oblivion) but when you hit the button to go to the menu, such as at an opportune time to pause the game to switch weapons from the last valuable bullet you fired and inevitably missed, it takes like 5-7 seconds for the menu to even appear, meanwhile you’re standing there like a doofus, backing away into other enemies who also somehow posses flamethrowers. That is about 6 seconds too long.
5. The enemy indicator only seems to work part of the time. Sometimes you’ll be walking around and all of a sudden, huge burst of flame in your face because there was a “fire ant” (that really shoots fire, and at a distance that is unbelievably far even for a kitten-sized ant) hiding in some grass. You have an enemy indicator on your radar, and they’ll show up from a sizable distance most of the time, but only most of the time.
My major hold-out that I’m hoping will appear is a dupe glitch whereby I can get way more ammo somehow. My main gripe is the insane dearth of ammo — if there were actually feasible ways to defend myself besides running away (from creatures who run faster than you and have the presence of mind to swarm from multiple directions), I’d be much more at ease.